Saturday, September 15, 2012

Take Comfort (Not To Be Confused With™ Comfort Foods)

“Get comfortable with uncertainty”, I said to her knowingly. My friend felt anxious about her life's great unknown “coming soon to events near you.” I assured her that we all feel anxious about the future. In fact, many of us feel that way every day. I do. Life is uncertain. Really? Well, I could step out of the bathtub and have a major accident slipping in my bathroom or I could get in a tin-can with wings and fly half-way across the world and arrive a few minutes earlier than the scheduled itinerary. Life's a daily crap-shoot. It's uncertain. It's the nature of living. Do you know what we also need to get comfortable feeling? Wait for it...it's another noun...starts with an “A”... That's right. Get comfortable with adversity. In life, we all have to deal with adversity. No matter how much it looks like things are easier for someone else, they probably aren't as easy as they look. Good stuff and bad stuff happens to everyone...not just YOU! But the beautiful thing in our uncertain and sometimes adverse life is that we have a CHOICE about how we handle adversity. We can choose to revel in it and wear it like a potato sack, or ignore it and move past it without it ever slipping it on our bodies. We can choose to push forward until we break free from those unpleasant feelings/occurrences. I know that when you're in the middle of adversity, you just need to get out of it. You probably scramble, scratch and claw to get past it. That's okay. When in the vortex of adversity, survival instinct usually does and should kick in. But, once out of adverse circumstances, you will have an option to chose how you react to your PAST circumstances. You decide whether you are going to use that adversity to pump you up or push you down. I hope you chose to allow yourself to get to a better place in your emotional life by way of the difficulties you experienced. If everything was easy, I honestly don't think we could learn and grow. Some of my best epiphanies have come from the difficult situations I have encountered and conquered. You're not in this game of uncertainty or adversity alone. We all feel have those feelings at some point every day. (I'm not exaggerating...I live in the DC metro area and every time I drive down the street, I encounter both of those nouns.) Reach out to others when in need and start enjoying all that crazy fun uncertainty! Move past the emotional turmoil that adversity hands you and chose to be better because of it. We're given one life...make the most of it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment